Vaginal dryness is also known as vaginal atrophy. When a woman reaches the age between 45 and 50 years, the body starts showing the sign of menopause. At this stage, various hormonal changes take place in the body. The estrogen level falls dramatically. Amongst the various changes and problems, faced by women, during, before or after menopause, vaginal dryness is one of them.
The mucous membranes inside the uterus, keeps the vagina moist. Mucous membrane, with the help of estrogen, keeps the vagina moist and lubricated. As the menopause approaches, the estrogen level in the body reduces drastically. Due to this, vaginal walls do not get lubricated. The vaginal walls get thinned. Lesser quantity of mucous is produced during menopause. This leads to vaginal dryness.
During this time, many women experience itching and burning sensation in the vagina. The entrance of the vagina gets smaller. Since the vagina is not lubricated, friction occurs at the time of intercourse, making it an unpleasant and unbearable affair. Most women avoid intercourse due to vaginal dryness. Traces of blood could also be seen due to the vaginal dryness.
The prima facie reason for vaginal dryness is menopause, but it can occur at any age. Vaginal dryness could be due to one or a combination of the below mentioned reasons:
- Urinary Infection
- Rape or excessive sex.
- Breast feeding leads to dehydration of skin. This can result in vaginal dryness. All lactating mothers do not face the problem of vaginal dryness.
- Radiation or chemotherapy.
- If personal hygiene is not maintained, it can cause skin irritation.
- Sexually transmitted diseases can cause vaginal dryness.
- Using strong deodorants or detergents, perfumes.
- On removal of ovaries.
- Using anti depressant medicines.
- Taking antibiotics for prolonged period.
- Not cleaning the under garments properly.
- Use of tampons suck away the moisture from the vagina and can cause vaginal dryness.
- If the woman is not in mood for sex, the vagina will remain dry. However, this is not a permanent dryness.
Vaginal Dryness can be cured by the following:
- Certain exercise help in reducing vaginal dryness. Breathe in and breathe out. After breathing out, hold and tuck your buttocks inside. The vagina is also pressed inside. Let your chin touch the chest. Count till ten. Raise your head. Breathe in and relax. Repeat at least 3 times.
- Drink lots of water and fluid. The body will remain hydrated and the dryness will be reduced.
- Clean yourself thoroughly everyday, the bacteria in the vagina can cause infection and lead to vaginal dryness.
- Avoid using strong perfumes, detergents, bubble bath, soaps.
- Quit smoking immediately.
- Diet which is low on fat and more on carbohydrates. Add soy and flax to your diet to make your diet wholesome.
- If the vaginal dryness continues for long, visit your doctor. The doctor may advice some cream or may prescribe some medicine, depending upon the severity of the problem.